University of Maryland Veterans Scholarships
Applications will be accepted starting April 1st, 2015
Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
Who is eligible to apply for the University of Maryland scholarships?
Veterans, Active member service members and National Guard reservists or family members in some cases who:
- Wish to start, finish, or further their education at the University of Maryland, College Park.
- Have served in active duty or reserve capacity for any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or National Guard, or are dependents of someone who has served.
- Are registered full- or part-time at UM and are pursuing undergraduate, graduate or post-graduate degrees.
What criteria will be considered for awarding a Veterans scholarship?
- Educational and career ambitions
- Record of personal achievement
- Record of military service (or service as a spouse/family member); motivation for serving
- Compelling, thoughtful and thorough essay question responses
- Unmet financial need as demonstrated through FAFSA
Applicants will be considered for all scholarships for which they are qualified. Application and all supporting materials must be received by May 18, 2015.
For questions or additional information, you may contact Dr. Terry Zacker, email@example.com or 301-314-7165.
The University of Maryland, College Park is dedicated to supporting educational opportunities for Veterans and active duty service members. The UMCP Veterans Initiative scholarships will provide support for Veteran students to pursue their educational goals. The scholarships are intended to cover direct study-related expenses such as tuition, fees, books, and room and board. Scholarships are for one year with the opportunity for current recipients to reapply in subsequent years (with the exception of the Tillman Scholarships).
Scholarship Opportunities Available to Veterans, National Guard Reservists and Active Duty Servicemembers
The University of Maryland Veterans Initiative Scholarships provide financial assistance to students who are Veterans of US military service, who have demonstrated financial need, and have shown career ambitions and/or a demonstration of service to others in the community. The following scholarships are currently open for Fall 2015 Veteran applicants. All applicants must be Veterans, Active Duty Service members or National Guard Reservists.
- Alexion Veterans Scholarship was established by Perry ’87 and Rachelle Alexion. It is open to full-time undergraduate students.
- Paul E. and Jane F. Butler Scholarship was established by Terry Butler ‘93 and Nancy Morris Butler ’80 in honor of Terry’s parents. The scholarship is open to qualified, undergraduate full-time students of the Robert H. Smith School of Business.
- Edward Friedson Memorial Scholarship was established by Edward Friedson’s family members. It is open to full-time undergraduate or graduate students.
- Robin and Tom Portman Scholarship was established in 2013 by Robin Portman, a 1980 graduate and her husband Tom, a 1986 UMUC graduate, to support undergraduate veteran students.
- The Arthur and Marianne Schneider Scholarship Fund was established by Arthur and Marianne S. Schneider '72 in order to provide need-based tuition support to undergraduate students who are either active, or honorably discharged from, military service.
- Vincent Family Veterans Scholarship was established in honor of Robert J. Vincent, Ph.D by Robert ’82 and Tracy Vincent ’84 to support a deserving combat Veteran completing their post secondary education.
- Ernest M. Willcher Veterans Scholarship was established in loving memory of Ernest, ’61 by his wife Shirley and sons Ben, ‘03 and Joel, ‘06 to support Veteran students at the University of Maryland, College Park.
- University of Maryland Veterans Scholarship is supported by alumni and friends of the University of Maryland, College Park. It is open to part- and full-time undergraduate or graduate students.
- University of Maryland Veterans Family Scholarship was established in 2012 to meet the growing need for financial support to family members of active duty and Veteran service members.
Scholarship Opportunities Available to Veteran Family Members and Spouses
- The University of Maryland Veterans Family Scholarship was created in 2012 to meet the growing need for financial support to dependents of active and Veteran service member families. An annual scholarship is available to dependents (children/spouses) of Veterans or active duty personnel who are pursuing their academic degrees full or part time at the University of Maryland College Park. Applicants need to demonstrate financial need and service to others in the community.
- First Command Family Scholarship was created by the First Command Financial Services office in Arlington, Virginia as a way to support the educational goals of military families. The scholarship is available to Veterans and active duty military as well as their spouses and children.