Contact Veteran Student Life

0110 Adele H. Stamp Student Union
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742


Financial Aid

Common Financial Aid Questions

    1. How do I apply for financial aid?
      All students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal, state or institutional funds. The FAFSA can be filed electronically at To file a paper copy, please contact our office at 301-314-9000.

    2. I don’t think I’ll be eligible for need based financial aid. Should I apply anyway?
      Yes. Many students mistakenly think they don't qualify for need based aid and miss out on financial opportunities by opting not to apply. In addition, there are financial resources, such as unsubsidized Stafford and PLUS loans that are available regardless of the student’s need.

    3. Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid?
      No. You can apply for financial aid any time after January 1. We encourage all students to file the FAFSA prior to our University Priority Deadline of February 15th. To actually receive funds, however, you must be admitted and enrolled at the University.

    4. Do I have to apply for financial aid every year? 
      Yes. You must file the FAFSA every year. After your first year, you will receive a "Renewal Application" from the Department of Education, which contains preprinted information from the previous year's FAFSA. You will need to review the information, make any changes and submit to the Department of Education. This can all be done at If your financial circumstances change, you may receive more or less aid than the previous year. Please be sure to file your FAFSA by the University deadline of February 15.

    5. What types of aid am I applying for when I file the FAFSA?
      The FAFSA form qualifies you for Federal, State, and University of Maryland need based funds. The University does not have a separate application. For more information on specific aid programs, please review our award guide at

    6. Are there scholarships available for Veteran students?
      Yes. There are many scholarships that are available for Veteran students. To view the list of scholarships, please visit our web site at and click on the link titled “Veteran Scholarships”.

    7. I am receiving an outside scholarship. Should I report it to the financial aid office?
      Yes. If you are receiving any type of financial aid not listed on your award letter, you must report the information to the Office of Student Financial Aid.

     ** NOTE: The use of the GI Bill will impact your FAFSA

For more information, please visit our website at

Grants & Loans

Regardless of veteran status, the University offers various types of financial support including federal, state, and institutional funds to help cover the cost of education. The awarding of financial aid is based on several factors including financial need, the date the Free Application for Federal Student (FAFSA) was filed, as well as other aid received. Students cannot receive more aid than it cost to go to college. The cost of education includes tuition, fees, room, board, books, transportation and personal costs. If you are interested in receiving financial aid (scholarships, grants, work-study and loans), please be sure to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

Most initial awards are based on the assumption that you will enroll full time for the academic year. If you plan to enroll part-time, please review the enrollment requirements for specific aid types at

Emergency Financial Aid

The Veterans Administration does have some types of emergency financial aid, including an advance pay of up to $3,000 for Veterans who applied for VA educational benefits and who have not yet received their monthly education payments.  Contact your local office for more information.

The University of Maryland Office of Student Financial Aid can provide emergency financial assistance to students.

Veterans in Transition Crisis Fund

With the help of the Kamin Foundation, Veteran Student Life now has a Veterans in Transition Crisis Fund. If you are a student veteran, or know a student veteran, who is in need of financial assistance, please email David Reese at for more information. 

Veterans Financial Advocate

The Veterans Financial Advocate for America’s Debt Help Center has some great resources listed available for Veterans. Their goals are to help veterans become aware of what options are available for them through the federal government and what programs the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) has to help active duty service members and veterans. Information and services to military personnel and their families are also provided. Please see links below for helpful sites