Contact Alternative Breaks

1110 Adele H. Stamp Student Union
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742


Passports & Visas

If you are participating in an International AB experience, you must obtain a valid U.S. passport. A copy of your passport must be submitted on the myEA portal by the indicated deadline. If you already have a passport, it must be valid for the entire duration of the AB trip and for at least 6 months following your return- check your expiration date!

New Passport Applicants
If you do not yet have a passport, it is important that you start the application process as soon as possible to ensure that you will receive it in time for your departure. Passport processing typically takes 4-6 weeks. Visit the Department of State website more information about obtaining a passport as well as the necessary forms and steps to take before visiting a passport application site.

Passport Application agencies near campus:
USPS North College Park
9591 Baltimore Avenue
College Park, MD 20740-9998
By Appointment Only: Monday - Friday, 10:00am - 3:00pm
Photo services on site

USPS Hyattsville Post Office
4325 Gallatin Street
Hyattsville, MD 20781
By Appointment Only: Monday - Friday, 9:30AM - 2:30PM
Photo services on site

Travel Abroad for International Students and non-US Citizens
If you are an international student or non-US citizen studying in the U.S. and wishing to travel abroad on an Alternative Break experience, there may be other steps you need to take to obtain additional visas or travel permissions. This is based on your country of citizenship, current visa and the country you are traveling to. Please visit the consular website of the country you are traveling to for specific details and plan early to obtain all necessary requirements. The AB office can help you obtain your flight itinerary, proof of lodging/program information and proof of international insurance that you may need when you visit the Consulate.All preparations and inquiries should be made as soon as possible as it often takes months for visas and travel to be approved!

The Office of International Student & Scholar Services offers additional helpful travel information for international students.

myEA forms

All international Alternative Breaks participants will complete a series of electronic forms through the university's myEA portal

These include:
  • Buckley Amendment Waiver (select yes/no to grant permission)
  • Health Disclosure & Accommodations (complete questions on any existing conditions or needed accommodations)
  • Passport Information (upload a picture/scan of your passport)
  • International Insurance Reading (review document and mark as read)
  • International Insurance

    All students and faculty participating in international programs administered by, sponsored by, or approved by the University of Maryland will automatically be enrolled in the university's insurance plan offered by Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). Approximately 1.5-2 months before departure, participants will see a $20-$30 charge from Education Abroad on their UMD Student Accounts. This is the fee for the international insurance coverage.

    The University of Maryland currently requires that all students attending international programs administered or approved by the university have extensive international health insurance coverage, including coverage of medical evacuation and repatriation. Most U.S. health insurance policies do not cover foreign medical care, medical/security evacuation or repatriation of remains. The new required insurance plan from CISI provides extensive coverage of these items.

    Visit the UMD CISI coverage page for more details about CISI insurance plan and the university's requirements.

    Health & Vaccinations

    A representative from the UMD International Travel Clinic will give a presentation during one of your pre-trip meetings to cover mandatory information specific to your country of travel. Attendance at this meeting will also allow you to skip a consultation appointment at the Health Center and only make an appointment for needed vaccinations."The Terp Guide to Travel" brochure is also a helpful guide when it comes to preparing for your trip abroad.

    Things to know:
    • Once you know your travel destination, make your appointment. 
    • Ideally, you will visit the travel clinic 4-6 weeks in advance of your travel.
    • Bring your most current immunization records to your appointment.
    • Bring your detailed travel itinerary to your appointment.
    • Bring your insurance card to your appointment.  Some vaccines may be covered by your insurance.

    There are charges for vaccines. The total cost will depend on what an individual needs. Charges are payable when services are rendered.
    For questions, please call Tina Thorburn at (301) 314-8120 to get more information