University of Maryland Veterans Scholarships
We are excited to announce the University of Maryland Veteran Scholarships application period is now open and we want you to apply! If you already applied for the Tillman Scholarship this year, your application will automatically make you eligible for these scholarships. No need to reapply.
Apply at go.umd.edu/VetScholarship2017
******* University of Maryland Veteran Scholarships application period is now open! Application and all supporting materials must be received by 11:59 PM on Monday, May 22, 2017*******
Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
Who is eligible to apply for the University of Maryland Veteran Scholarships?
Veterans, Active member service members and National Guard reservists or family members who:
- Wish to start, finish, or further their education at the University of Maryland, College Park.
- Have served in active duty or reserve capacity for any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or National Guard, or are dependents of someone who has served.
- Are registered full- or part-time at UM and are pursuing undergraduate, graduate or post-graduate degrees.
What criteria will be considered for awarding a Veterans scholarship?
- Educational and career ambitions
- Record of personal achievement
- Record of military service (or service as a spouse/family member); motivation for serving
- Compelling, thoughtful and thorough essay question responses
- Unmet financial need
Applicants will be considered for all scholarships for which they are qualified.
For questions or additional information, you may contact Dr. Terry Zacker, email@example.com or 301-314-7165.
The University of Maryland, College Park is dedicated to supporting educational opportunities for Veterans and active duty service members. The UMCP Veterans Initiative scholarships will provide support for Veteran students to pursue their educational goals. The scholarships are intended to cover direct study-related expenses such as tuition, fees, books, and room and board. Scholarships are for one year with the opportunity for current recipients to reapply in subsequent years (with the exception of the Tillman Scholarships).
Scholarship Opportunities Available to Veterans, National Guard Reservists and Active Duty Servicemembers
The University of Maryland Veterans Initiative Scholarships provide financial assistance to students who are Veterans of US military service, who have demonstrated financial need, and have shown career ambitions and/or a demonstration of service to others in the community. The following scholarships are currently open for Fall 2015 Veteran applicants. All applicants must be Veterans, Active Duty Service members or National Guard Reservists.
- Alexion and Siahatgar Families Veterans Scholarship was established by Perry ’87 and Rachelle Alexion. The Alexion and Siahatgar families both have generations of proud Terps in their ranks. Perry and Rachelle Alexion, in partnership with Bijan and Kanchan Siahatgar created this scholarship to support veteran students at the University of Maryland. It is open to full-time undergraduate students.
- The Clifton L. Brown, Jr. ’73 Scholarship was established by a proud veteran, alumnus and Maryland attorney. He established this scholarship to provide financial assistance to veteran students. Clifton L. Brown, Jr. ’73 served from 1967-1970 in the United States Army as an Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Technician.
- Paul E. and Jane F. Butler Scholarship was established by Terry Butler ‘93 and Nancy Morris Butler ’80 in honor of Terry’s parents. The scholarship is open to qualified, undergraduate full-time students of the Robert H. Smith School of Business.
- Dominic and Pat Ciardi Family Scholarship was established in the names of Dominic and Pat Ciardi by their children Cindy Ciardi Whittington ’79, Kim Ciardi Madlinger ’81, Mark Ciardi ’83 and Scott Ciardi ’87 as well as other generous supporters to provide need-based student scholarships to veterans at the University of Maryland.
- Frank and Janice Cirillo Endowed Scholarship for Veterans was established by Frank '66 and Jan '66 to provide support for veterans with a preference for students enrolled in the A. James Clark School of Engineering or the College of Education.
- The William E. Fleck '83 and Sally L. Fleck Scholarship for Veterans was established by Bill and Sally in honor of James Dale Fleck and in memory of Rudolph David Pola to provide need-based scholarship support for veterans who are first generation college students.
- Edward Friedson Memorial Scholarship was established by Edward Friedson’s family members. It is open to full-time undergraduate or graduate students.
- NewDay USA Veterans Scholarship was established by New Day USA. Every member of the NewDay USA team shares a deep commitment to our community, America’s Veterans and their families. The NewDay USA Foundation is pleased to endow a scholarship at the University of Maryland for veterans, active duty service members and their families.
- Robin and Tom Portman Scholarship was established in 2013 by Robin Portman, a 1980 graduate and her husband Tom, a 1986 UMUC graduate, to support undergraduate veteran students.
- The Avis and Bruce Richards Endowed Veterans Scholarship was established by Avis '80 and Bruce Richards to support multiple need-based undergraduate scholarships each year for student veterans. Avis and Bruce Richards are committed to the brave men and women who have served our country. In support of our University of Maryland veteran students and in tribute to their service, the Richards Family created the endowed scholarship.
- The Richbourg Family Memorial Veterans was established by Terp parents, Bill and Donna Richbourg in loving memory of their fathers. William S. Richbourg was a Marine who served in World War II. Albert N. Schwab, Donna’s father, was a Naval Aviator who also served in World War II.
- Col. Hugh J. Holloman USMC (Ret.) & Major R. Mark "Hondo" Davids USMC (Ret.) ΣAE United States Marine Corps Scholarship was established to provide scholarship support for United States Marine Corps (USMC) veterans or Officer Candidates at the University of Maryland.
- The Arthur and Marianne Schneider Scholarship Fund was established by Arthur and Marianne S. Schneider '72 in order to provide need-based tuition support to undergraduate students who are either active, or honorably discharged from, military service.
- Vincent Family Veterans Scholarship was established in honor of Robert J. Vincent, Ph.D by Robert ’82 and Tracy Vincent ’84 to support a deserving combat Veteran completing their post secondary education.
- Ernest M. Willcher Veterans Scholarship was established in loving memory of Ernest, ’61 by his wife Shirley and sons Ben, ‘03 and Joel, ‘06 to support Veteran students at the University of Maryland, College Park.
- University of Maryland Veterans Scholarship is supported by alumni and friends of the University of Maryland, College Park. It is open to part- and full-time undergraduate or graduate students.
- University of Maryland Veterans Family Scholarship was established in 2012 to meet the growing need for financial support to family members of active duty and Veteran service members.
Scholarship Opportunities Available to Veteran Family Members and Spouses
- The University of Maryland Veterans Family Scholarship was created in 2012 to meet the growing need for financial support to dependents of active and Veteran service member families. An annual scholarship is available to dependents (children/spouses) of Veterans or active duty personnel who are pursuing their academic degrees full or part time at the University of Maryland College Park. Applicants need to demonstrate financial need and service to others in the community.
- First Command Family Scholarship was created by the First Command Financial Services office in Arlington, Virginia as a way to support the educational goals of military families. The scholarship is available to Veterans and active duty military as well as their spouses and children.