Student veterans can now sign up for one tutoring appointment per week.
STEM Veterans Tutoring Program Guidelines for Students
· Students may schedule one appointment per week.
· Students must arrive within 15 minutes of the scheduled session.
· If a student misses more than 3 appointments throughout a semester, he/she must contact and meet with the STEM Veterans Tutoring Program Coordinator before scheduling further appointments.
· Students should come prepared for the tutoring session by bringing all relevant textbooks, notes, and other materials and complete assigned work between tutoring appointments.
· Tutors will not routinely provide tutoring for content missed due to unexcused class absences. Tutoring is not a substitute for attending class, doing homework, or reading the textbook. Tutoring is designed to provide additional support for your classes.
· Tutors are available to guide you in learning the information and applying the skills necessary to complete your assignments, they will not provide answers for you but rather will work collaboratively with you to provide support and address concerns.
· Tutors will not complete graded homework problems or test questions but will help students understand concepts and strategies and practice similar problems and questions.
· While tutors are skilled in courses they tutor, they will not be knowledgeable about every concept taught in your class.
NOTE: if you no longer need an appointment – make sure to cancel your appointment at least 24 hours in advance by clicking “more details” on your email google calendar confirmation. You will then click “cancel appointment” and then click “delete and update guests.”
Meet the Tutors
Tutors for the STEM Veteran Assistance Program are currently enrolled students at UMD and they look forward to supporting you. Below you will find the names of our current tutors and the courses in which they could provide tutoring support. Please use the website link besides each of their names to sign up for a tutoring session with that tutor. Tutoring sessions are scheduled for one hour.
Tutor - Andrew Lauziere: http://go.umd.edu/TutoringAppt-AndrewLauziere
-Andrew Lauziere is available for appointments on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9-11 a.m.
-Subjects available to tutor in: Statistics; Calculus I, II, and III; Advanced Calculus; College Algebra; Linear Algebra; Probability Theory; Differential Equations
Tutor - Andrew Savarese: http://go.umd.edu/TutoringAppt-AndrewSavarese
-Andrew Savarese is available for appointments on Tuesdays from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and Thursdays from 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
-Subjects available to tutor in: Calculus I, II, and III; Physics I; Thermodynamics; Statics; Pre-Calculus; Trigonometry; College Algebra; Differential Equations
Tutor - Maura McCann: http://go.umd.edu/TutoringAppt-MauraMcCann
-Maura is available for appointments on Fridays at 11 a.m. and from 12:30-3:30 p.m.
-Subjects available to tutor in: College Algebra; Pre-Calculus; General Chemistry I and II; Organic Chemistry I; Statistics; Anatomy/Physiology; General Biology I and II; Organismal Biology
Tutor - Mike Rennie: http://go.umd.edu/TutoringAppt-MikeRennie
-Mike is available for appointments on Thursdays from 1-5 p.m.
-Subjects available to tutor in: Beginning and Intermediate Algebra; College Algebra; Linear Algebra; Differential Equations; Pre-Calculus, Calculus; Trigonometry
Tutor - Melinda Fu: http://go.umd.edu/TutoringAppt-MelindaFu
-Melinda is available for appointments on Tuesdays from 10 a.m.-Noon.
- If you are not available to meet during this time but would like to request tutoring for Organic Chemistry I or II please contact Melinda directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org
-Subjects available to tutor in: Organic Chemistry I; Organic Chemistry II
If you are in class when tutors are available but would like to receive one-on-one tutoring through the STEM Veteran Assistance Program for one of the courses listed above please complete the following form at: http://go.umd.edu/TutoringInterestRequest . Please note that this is not a guarantee that your request will be met, but we are happy to explore this request for you. You will receive an update within 24 business hours.
If we are unable to accommodate your request or if there is a course you need tutoring for that is not listed above – please check available tutoring resources at UMD at: www.tutoring.umd.edu – there are lots of great tutoring resources available on-campus!
Guided Study Sessions (GSS) are also available through the Learning Assistance Services Office and provide peer-led collaborative learning groups for a variety of courses such as: ANSC 211, ANSC 212, BCHM 463, BSCI 105, BSCI 106, BSCI 201, BSCI 202, BSCI 207, BSCI 222, CHEM 131, CHEM 134, CHEM 135, CHEM 231, CHEM 241, CHEM 271, ECON 200, MATH 115, PHYS 131, PHYS 161 and PSYC 100. More information on GSS is available at: