Contact Veteran Student Life

0110 Adele H. Stamp Student Union
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742



Tips for the Application Process

“10 Tips for Veterans at College” by Lynn F. Jacobs and Jeremy S Hyman - A very comprehensive article outlining the general process a veteran should follow when going through the college application process.

If you are interested in applying for undergraduate admissions, email or call 301-314-8385.

Freshmen and Transfer Students

Applicants with a minimum of 12 semester hours or 18 quarter hours at a regionally accredited college or university are classified as transfer students. Many veteran applicants meet this criteria; however, it is essential that the applicant check which prior courses will receive transfer credit. 

If you are considering applying to the University of Maryland as a transfer student, go here to the University of Maryland's admissions website and carefully read the transfer student policies.

Credit Transfer

Credit transfer is done by the Transfer Credit Center.  Incoming students with credits are advised to contact the Transfer Credit Center as soon as possible.  The University of Maryland does not automatically accept credit from service-related academic institutions or service-related training.

From the Transfer Credit Center  FAQ:

Can I receive credit for military study? for work experience?

 The University of Maryland only awards military credit earned through regionally accredited institutions. Currently, we recognize comparable credit from the Community College of the Air Force, the Defense Language Institute, the National Cryptologic Institute, or one of the service academies, in additional to any other regionally-accredited institution. We do not award credit based on ACE or Dantes recommendations.

The University of Maryland does not award credit for non-traditional or experiential learning not supervised by our own faculty. Examples include internships, externships, practicua, or co-op work. Nor will we transfer credits awarded at other institutions for such work. In some instances, we may recommend sitting for a departmental exam or attempting to earn credit through the College-Level Examination Program.

Limited Enrollment Programs

Many veterans are interested in majors like Criminal Justice or Engineering that are Limited Enrollment Programs.  Limited Enrollment Programs are competitive majors at the University of Maryland that control enrollment numbers to maintain program quality. Once a student has earned 45 credits, he/she must have successfully completed a specific set of courses called "gateway" requirements.

Transfer students from other institutions apply to LEP's through the general application for admission to the University by indicating the major(s) of interest. With the single application for transfer admission, students are first admitted to the University and then to Limited Enrollment Program majors based on LEP standards.

 The Limited Enrollment Programs:

- Business

- Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Chemistry and Environmental Sciences and Policy-Biodiversity and Conservation

- Criminology and Criminal Justice

- Engineering
   · Students who are applying to the Clark School for Fall 2017 admission or before
   · Students who are applying to the Clark School for Spring 2018 admission or after

- Government and Politics

- Journalism 

- Psychology