What do former ELs have to say?
"The most gratifying aspect of being an EL has been seeing members of my group look to make service a part of their life here at UMD. I loved that we were all able to walk away with a heightened sense of awareness about our social issue and are now looking to make a difference!"
"The EL role is the challenge of creating something, planning it for months, and then actually doing it. Not just doing it, but doing it for other people and being immersed in an experience yourself- learning and growing alongside my participants was incredibly rewarding."
"The most rewarding aspect of being an Experience Leader is the fact that I was able to inspire, teach, learn with, and grow closer to my participants and co leaders. Sharing such an amazing experience with such amazing people is something I will never forget. I would relive the opportunity in a heartbeat."
What will you gain as an EL?
- Valuable personal development and transferable skills that can be applied to many contexts
- Experience Leaders will be a valuable voice for student involvement in AB and will have an opportunity to help guide the direction of the AB program
- High level of responsibility and unique leadership experience guiding peers through an experiential education program
- Organizational experience through trip-planning and coordination
- Building close relationships within a community of diverse peers, staff and faculty
- Deeper understanding of social issues, root causes, service-learning, social change and social justice concepts
- Up to 30% discount on AB trip cost (dependent on full completion of trainings and responsibilities)
What will you do as an EL?
Experience Leaders start planning for AB experiences beginning the summer before their trips depart. In the fall semester, you will be guided through the planning process, have regular check-ins with your leadership team and AB intern advisor, organize team meetings, and contact community partner and lodging sites. ELs have required bi-monthly trainings throughout the year on Fridays from 4-6 pm and a Fall and Winter retreat. View the EL Calendar for an idea of the time commitment required.