Most departments on campus sponsor some kind of orientation for new graduate students. Because it's too difficult to keep track of all department orientation schedules, students will need to contact their departments directly for more information.
Graduate School Orientation
Graduate Student Kickoff
International Graduate Student Orientation
Campus-wide Teaching Assistant (TA) Orientation
Each year the Graduate School holds orientation for new graduate students. During the summer there are two sessions: a general orientation for all students and separate sessions for international students and other specific student populations. The orientation often features a welcome to graduate studies by the Dean of the Graduate School and a campus resource information fair.
Graduate School Orientation for New Graduate Students Fall 2012 Events:
- Annual Networking Reception for Graduate Students of Color: Thursday, August 23, 2012, 4:30pm to 6:30pm, Nyumburu Cultural Center, Multi-Purpose Room
- New Student Orientation: Friday, August 24, 2012, 3:00pm to 5:00pm, Colony Ballroom, Adele H. Stamp Union (Campus Map - Building #163)
- Graduate Teaching Assistant Orientation: Friday, August 24, 2012, 8:30am to 2:45pm. Morning sessions - 1101 Biosciences Building/Afternoon sessions - Plant Science Building. RSVP required
- International Student Reception: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 4:00pm, 1125 Holzapfel Hall
Each year the Office of Graduate Student Life organizes a free, fun-filled welcome event for new and returning graduate students. The event features a wide array of activities, including speed friending, dance lessons, craft activities, TerpZone specials, massages, yoga classes, and informational sessions on how to access UMD resources. Free food and drinks are also provided.
Graduate Student Kickoff 2012 Activities for Friday, August 24, from 4pm to 8pm, Adele H. Stamp Student Union:
- Scavenger Hunt: 4:00pm to 5:30pm, throughout The Stamp (information available outside Grand Ballroom)
- Grad Chats: 4:00pm to 5:00pm, Prince George's Room and Atrium
- TerpZone Discount Specials: 4:00pm to 7:45pm, TerpZone, (One bowling or billards game per student with a Graduate Student Kickoff nametag.)
- Stamp Gallery Closing Reception: Tara Rodgers, "Patterns of Movement: Data and Sound Works, 2005-12", 5:00pm to 8:00pm, Rm 1220
- Kickoff Buffet: 5:00pm to 8:00pm, Grand Ballroom
- Speed Friending: 6:00pm to 7:45pm, Grand Ballroom Lounge
- Color Me Terp (ceramic painting): 6:00pm to 7:45pm, Art & Learning Center
- Trivia Night (2 rounds): 6:00pm to 6:45pm and 7:00pm to 7:45pm, Baltimore Room
- Wellness Room (yoga and massage): 6:00pm to 7:45pm, West Lounge (Sign up at the information table outside Grand Ballroom)
- Dance Lessons: 6:00pm to 7:45pm
- Bollywood - 6:00pm to 6:45pm, Atrium
- Hip Hop - 6:00pm to 6:45pm, Prince George's Room
- Salsa - 7:00pm to 7:45pm, Atrium
- Hip Hop - 7:00pm to 7:45pm, Prince George's Room
- Live Jazz Music: 6:00pm to 7:45pm, Grand Ballroom
- Prize Drawings: 7:45pm, Grand Ballroom
A comprehensive program run by Office of International Services (OIS), orientation for international students is mandatory for all new, incoming students holding F-1 or J-1 visas.
Fall 2012 International Graduate Student Orientation will be held August 22-September 1, 2012 at various locations across campus. Please visit the OIS Orientation website for comprehensive information.
Each August, the Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) coordinates an orientation for all new graduate and returning teaching assistants on campus. Throughout the day, TAs are introduced to important members of the Administration, given a comprehensive guide to campus resources, provided a host of teaching and learning tips from experienced faculty, and invited to participate in smaller workshops. These workshops cover a range of teaching topics such as facilitating productive discussions, dealing with cheating, staying sane as a TA, and addressing identity and diversity in the classroom.
Fall 2012 TA Orientation:
Friday, August 24, 2012, 8:30am - 2:45pm
1101 Bioscience Building (Morning session)/1st floor various rooms, Plant Sciences Building (Afternoon sessions)
Graduate TAs may sign up to attend the GTA Orientation via the CTE website. If you have any questions, contact Spencer Benson, Director of CTE, at firstname.lastname@example.org, 301-314-1288 or Emily Grossnickle, CTE’s Coordinator of Graduate Student Programs, at email@example.com, 301-314-1283.
The University of Maryland Libraries provide library services and resources specifically tailored to the needs of certain graduate programs. However, most library information can be found via the UMD Libraries homepage.