Testudo is a bronze sculpture of the UM Mascot.Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I'm looking for a graduate assistantship. Do you know of any resources that could help me?

See: Finding a Graduate Assistantship

What is Graduate Student Life?

See: About the Office

How can I find housing in the DC-area?

See: Off-Campus Housing

How do I get a Graduate Student ID card?

see New Grads: Graduate Student ID

How can I sign up for Athletics tickets?

Graduate students do pay less in Athletics fees (approximately 10% of the total revenue from student athletic fees) and the compromise that Graduate Student Government worked out with Athletics was to set aside 10% of student tickets for a separate graduate student lottery system. If graduate students don't use their allocated tickets, they go up for grabs with undergrads. Two years ago, graduate students had to compete for tickets with undergrads and they weren't doing very well. For more details on how the system works and how to register, go to https://www.tickets.umd.edu

Q: What exactly is an After-Hours permit? How is it different from the parking permit that we already pay for?

A: The after-hours permit is basically a free add-on to a current parking permit. As a student you have access to certain student lots on campus. The after-hours pass grants you additional parking privileges for parking in 24-hour restricted faculty/staff parking lots between 4 pm and 7 am. The intent is to let some graduate assistants (GA, RA, TA) take advantage of prime parking spots that would otherwise go unused in the evenings.
More information on obtaining an After-Hours Permit

Q. Who receives the Graduate Student Service Announcements?

A. All graduate students registered for that semester (Fall, Spring, Summer)

Q. How can I change the email account that receives the Graduate Student Service Announcements?

A. The Graduate Services Announcement doesn't work like a normal listserv and the GSL administrator cannot update, add or remove names from the list. The system pulls emails automatically from campus databases of registered graduate students. It checks the email listed in your ARES payroll accounts (if you have one) and then checks your Testudo information. If there are two different emails, it will assume that the email address on ARES is more correct. All you need to do is change the email listed in Testudo or update your profile in ARES. In about 1 week, the system will switch over to your new email.

Q. Can I use the Graduate Student Service Announcements to send my own announcements to graduate students?

A. The email is only for sending administrative announcements that are timely and of general interest to graduate students. Student organizations cannot post announcements. One exception is some announcements by Graduate Student Government (GSG). GSG serves as a graduate governance organization and has quasi-administrative status and the manager of the Graduate Student Activity Fee.

Q. How can I stop receiving Graduate Student Service Announcements?

A. There is no way to unsubscribe from the email as you can with a listserv. The system we use updates the list of registered graduate students every week by pulling them from the university's databases. Once you are no longer a registered student, your name should be removed automatically after about one week.

Q: How many graduate students do I need to register a graduate student organization?

A: Five graduate students who are currently registered for classes at the University of Maryland College Park.

Q: The STARS system has a "registration" and "recognition" category for student groups. How do these categories apply to graduate student organizations?

A: The registration process is the only one relevant to graduate student organizations. Recognition is the process by which undergraduate groups can make themselves eligible to receive funding from the STudent Government Association. Registered graduate student organizations are automatically eligible to apply for and receive funding from GSG.

Q: How can I receive funding for my graduate student organization?

A: Many groups charge membership dues to raise money for events and activities. Registered student organizations are also eligible to receive money from the Graduate Activity Fee that is managed by GSG. For more information on this process see the GSG's financial guide on their website at www.gsg.umd.edu/funding.

Q: Can a graduate student join an "undergraduate" organization?

A:Yes, all campus student organizations are open to any registered student at the University of Maryland. In fact, over 15% of graduate students claim membership in at least one undergraduate organization. There may, however, be some restrictions regarding leadership roles in those organizations.

Q: What's the difference between a graduate organization and an undergraduate organization?

A: Since graduate students can join undergraduate organization and vice versa, the primary difference between the two is the source of funding and organization leadership. Graduate student organizations must have a majority of their membership be graduate students and have graduate students serving in executive positions. Graduate student organizations are not eligible to receive money from Student Government Association or Student Entertainment Events (commonly known as SEE) because both groups are funded by undergraduate activity fees.