1220 Stamp Student Union
The Adele H. Stamp Student Union
University of Maryland
College Park, 20742
Edward Burtynsky, Silver Lake Operations #2, Lake Lefroy, Western Australia, 2007, printed 2008, digital chromogenic print, ed. #5/9
The University of Maryland College Park Stamp Student Union has developed an Arts Purchasing program whose mission is to educate and inspire by exposing the campus community to thought-provoking art created by noted contemporary artists; and to provide a diverse student committee the opportunity to interact with the art world by researching, discussing, and purchasing artwork by emerging and established contemporary artists.
PROGRAM FOR SELECTED STUDENT COMMITTEE
¤ Participants will be required to enroll in Markets and Collecting, a Contemporary Art Theory course (ARTT489C) during the Fall semester of the program year. In addition to the class, members are expected to attend weekly meetings with CAPP adviser.
¤ During the Spring semester of the program year, student committee members must also enroll in a one credit class to prepare for their trips to D.C., Baltimore and New York City—where they will visit galleries and artist's studios. At the conclusion of the program, the students on the committee will present their acquisition recommendations to the CAPP Advisory Board, a panel made up of curator's, collectors, and art historians.
After completing the Contemporary Art Purchasing Program the student participants will have fulfilled the following learning outcomes:
Develop and improve communication skills through the following:
- Regular professional interaction with art industry professionals.
- Written communication skills in emails as well as written proposals.
- Experience how to effectively and respectfully defend positions and ideas.
Develop leadership skills through the following:
- Group work and collaboration.
- Research and ideas; therefore strengthening confidence as an active and participating member of the group.
- Experience business dealings with art industry professionals.
Increase knowledge of the following:
- Art and art history, and be able to impart knowledge to others.
- University community and Art community.
- Business practices within the art industry.