1101 Shoemaker Building
Monday – Thursday 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
The Counseling Center provides services specifically for Veterans. Dedicated office hours for student veterans are available. As well, other services offered include: Counseling Services; Disability Support Services; Learning Assistance Service; and a Testing and Research Unit.
If you have an issue you would like to discuss, the Counseling Center has walk-in hours for veterans from 3 - 4 PM Monday - Friday.
Counseling Staff Member Specializing in Care for Veterans:
Noah Collins, Ph.D.
Phone: (301) 314-7661
The Counseling Center Crisis Support Line is available for after-hours support at (301) 314-7651
Where is the Counseling Center?...
Center for Healthy Families
The Center for Healthy Families provides couples and family therapy at their clinic which follows the systems perspective and works with couples and families as a unit.
Services offered by the Center for Healthy Families include:
• Family, couple, and individual therapy for relationship concerns, and groups to educate families about a variety of issues. Children and adolescents are seen with their families
• Couple and family therapy graduate students provide clinical and educational services to families from the surrounding area, including military families
• All couple and family therapy services are supervised by the senior clinical faculty of the Department of Family Science using techniques such as one-way mirrors and digital video review. Videos are erased when therapy services are terminated
• Supervisors are experienced and highly qualified Licensed Clinical Marriage and Family Therapists in Maryland
Military families receive their first 5 therapy sessions free of charge; subsequent session fees are $20
Learning Assistance Service
2202 Shoemaker Building
Office Hours: M-F 8:30 - 4:30
Contact Information: 301-314-7693, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Learning Assistance Service (LAS) is the academic support unit of the University Counseling Center. LAS exists to help students achieve their academic goals by providing a range of services. All LAS services are FREE to UM students. Services offered:
• Guided Study Sessions - This program offers free, regularly scheduled study sessions for traditionally difficult courses.
• Academic Counseling- Work with an academic skills counselor to evaluate your study skills and develop strategies for academic success
• Math Learning- Come to LAS and meet with the Math Learning Specialist who is here to help students succeed in any math course at UMCP.
• Returning/Adult Students (students 25 years or older) - Services are designed to assist those who have experienced a break in their education and would like to return or begin college study
• Students on Probation or Dismissal - If you are on probation or in serious academic need, enroll in EDCP108B to learn how to become a more efficient and active learner.
• Transfer Students - Services are designed to ease the transition from 2- and 4-year colleges to UM. Each semester LAS hosts the Transfer Student Welcome Event.
• Peer Assisted Learning - Peer educators who have previously experienced success in difficult courses meet individually with students to improve their performance.
• Workshops - Workshops focus on helping students manage their time, and improve their approach to studying and learning