1101 Shoemaker Building
Monday – Thursday 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
The Counseling Center provides services specifically for Veterans. Dedicated office hours for student veterans are available. As well, other services offered include: Counseling Services; Disability Support Services; Learning Assistance Service; and a Testing and Research Unit.
If you have an issue you would like to discuss the Counseling Center has walk-in hours for veterans from 3 - 4 PM Monday - Friday.
Counseling Staff Member Specializing in Care for Veterans:
Noah Collins, Ph.D.
Phone: (301) 314-7661
The Counseling Center Crisis Support Line is available for after-hours support at (301) 314-7651
Center for Healthy Families
The Center for Healthy Families provides couple and family therapy at their clinic which follows the systems perspective and works with couples and families as a unit.
Services offered by the Center for Healthy Families include:
• Family, couple, and individual therapy for relationship concerns, and groups to educate families about a variety of issues. Children and adolescents are seen with their families
• Couple and family therapy graduate students provide clinical and educational services to families from the surrounding area, including military families
• All couple and family therapy services are supervised by the senior clinical faculty of the Department of Family Science using techniques such as one-way mirrors and digital video review. Videos are erased when therapy services are terminated
• Supervisors are experienced and highly qualified Licensed Clinical Marriage and Family Therapists in Maryland
Military families receive their first 5 therapy sessions free of charge; subsequent session fees are $20
Learning Assistance Service
2202 Shoemaker Building
Office Hours: M-F 8:30 - 4:30
Contact Information: 301-314-7693, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Learning Assistance Service (LAS) is the academic support unit of the University Counseling Center. LAS exists to help students achieve their academic goals by providing a range of services. All LAS services are FREE to UM students. Services offered:
• Guided Study Sessions - This program offers free, regularly scheduled study sessions for traditionally difficult courses.
• Academic Counseling- Work with an academic skills counselor to evaluate your study skills and develop strategies for academic success
• Math Learning- Come to LAS and meet with the Math Learning Specialist who is here to help students succeed in any math course at UMCP.
• Returning/Adult Students (students 25 years or older) - Services are designed to assist those who have experienced a break in their education and would like to return or begin college study
• Students on Probation or Dismissal - If you are on probation or in serious academic need, enroll in EDCP108B to learn how to become a more efficient and active learner.
• Transfer Students - Services are designed to ease the transition from 2- and 4-year colleges to UM. Each semester LAS hosts the Transfer Student Welcome Event.
• Peer Assisted Learning - Peer educators who have previously experienced success in difficult courses meet individually with students to improve their performance.
• Workshops - Workshops focus on helping students manage their time, and improve their approach to studying and learning