About America Reads
America Reads is a reading tutoring program for first and second grade students. University of Maryland mentors work one-on-one with students twice a week, providing extra instruction and support in reading and writing. All mentors receive extensive training in Reading Recovery and general tutoring methods.
America Reads runs Monday through Friday, from approximately 8:00 am to 11:00 am. Mentors are required to work two days per week.
- Engage children in enjoyable experiences with literature, reading, writing, and listening.
- Help children feel successful by providing positive feedback and support.
- Model how reading and writing are pleasurable and important activities.
- To develop a sense of the importance of community involvement in University of Maryland students.
BENEFITS FOR PARTICIPATING ELEMENTARY SCHOOL STUDENTS
Participating elementary school students will:
- Develop a positive attitude about reading and increase motivation to read
- Receive one-on-one attention
- Improve reading fluency, reading comprehension, and decoding skills
- Increase use of strategies while reading
- Increase sight word vocabulary
- Improve spelling of high frequency words and use of spelling patterns in unknown words
How Students are Selected for America Reads
Teachers and reading specialists at each of our partner schools identify specific first and second grade students who would most benefit from participation in our program. Students participate on a semester basis.